Silver Lady (シルバーレディ Shirubāredi), more commonly referred to as Silky (シルキー Shirukī), is a former Banshee that was transformed into a Silky with the help of Spriggan. She's currently the housekeeper within the residence of Elias and Chise and a supporting character in the series.
Spriggan thinks she is the vision of a silvery flower, which may be why she has taken the namesake. Silver has one outfit: a pink Victorian dress with a matching shawl and bonnet. The bonnet has yellow flowers on each side. Her hair is blonde and was once long, however it became much shorter after her transformation.
According to Elias, Silver was never the type for idle chatter. Silver remains mostly silent in her appearances with a stoic look on her face and an often reserved demeanor. Despite this she is capable of showing emotion at times, such as being content when Chise returned after being awoken by Oberon and growing defensive of Chise in the presence of Simon. She is also shown to grow upset when her food is left uneaten or mealtime is ignored or forgotten.
Possibly owing to the fact that she is a Sleigh Beggy, Silver appears to dote on Chise quite a bit and takes great pleasure in providing for her in any way that she can. She appears to be most content when Chise is around and eating her food. Conversely, she is shown to be depressed when Chise suffers from her ailments as a Sleigh Beggy and must be away from home for long periods of time. When Chise nearly dies after creating the fairy salve, she is shown to be completely devastated and embraces Chise and Elias happily when they return safely.
Silver also supposedly has a sense of humor, as she enjoys occasionally playing pranks on her inhabitants such as sewing hearts into Chise and Elias' clothes.
Silver appears to be unable to leave the house of her own accord. It is unknown if this is an innate characteristic of her being a Silky, or whether it stems from her own fears of being forgotten and losing her home. When Chise collapsed from exhaustion and fell into a deep sleep for two weeks, Silver grew worried enough to the point where she attempted to leave through the front door. However, in Episode 12, when Chise collapse after transforming into a firebird, Silver appears running from the house with Ruth in order to cover her with a blanket.
Silver was once a banshee, whose clan had all died out. She wandered around aimlessly, risking her fading away, until Spriggan crossed her path. He takes her to a lit home owned by a Victorian family, who still observed ancient traditions, and transforms her into a Silky. Elias gains ownership some time later, meaning Silky predates Elias' residence .
The Short Story Rainbow Day, Feast Day reveals that after Spriggan had brought her to the home, she remained there as a house fae as it passed through several generations, with Spriggan constantly visiting her, whereupon she learned many of her cooking recipes as she helped in subtle ways to go unnoticed until Elias took ownership of the house and she could help as much as she pleased..
The Golden Yarn
The short story, Rainbow Day, Feast Day, has Silver prepare a feast for her family on the day that a rainbow has been cast overhead. In the process of doing so, she recalls her time in serving a family that had lived in the home before, with the primary focus being the Widow who inherited her home from her husband and spent her time cooking various dishes. As the Widow was not gifted with the Sight, Silver couldn't act overt and handle all of the housework as she did for Elias. Instead, she helped in ways that were hard to notice with the intention of continuing to do so for the next generation.
However, the Widow did notice every now and again. She would often give thanks to the fae by leaving a cup of cream over the fireplace despite coming from a distant land, much like her husband's family during the time when Spriggan brought her to their home. The widow would also talk to herself a lot as she cooked, which allowed Silver Lady to learn from watching her about how to make various things.
As time passed, the Widow would start to travel and learn various dishes, leaving the home empty for a time. Spriggan would visit during these moments, always at the boundary of the wildlands and cultivated lands, to check up on her in person rather than via centaur post. She would usually provide him with some sort of food in turn, such as biscuits.
One day when the Widow returned, she prepared a feast but fell asleep in the middle of doing so due to her age. Silver decided to help her finish the feast as she slept, after draping a blanket over her shoulders. When the Widow woke, she thanked the fae once more for helping her before dedicating the meal to her late husband as she promised to hold a feast for him before he passed away, as the day when the hawthorns bloomed and the wind blew and a rainbow could be seen overhead were all things he loved.
Silver picked up the same habit even after the home changed hands into Elias' possession, allowing her to act freely. At first she only prepared local food, but later she began to expand into international foods with Elias' blessing. As Chise helps her prepare the meal for the first time since she has arrived, seeing her and Ruth eat it brings a smile to her face.
Skills and Abilities
- Housekeeping: Silver is shown to be incredibly proficient at housekeeping duties ranging from cleaning to cooking and even sewing. She is also shown to be knowledgeable in washing and grooming pets. According to Elias, she is also capable of performing night watch duties while her inhabitants sleep.
- Cooking: Silver is capable of cooking a wide variety of traditional British dishes. These dishes bare resemblance to the "Pub Food" that is served in Britain. However, she inherited knowledge of many dishes from around the world from the previous owner of the home before Elias.
- Housekeeping Magic: Silver is capable of altering the details of the house that she, Elias, and Chise inhabit. During the winter she used magic to change the walls and also added carpeting over the wooden floor in preparation for Chise and Elias' return.
- The humans call me "Silky". It is my duty to nurture the light that shines within my home.
- She bears a striking resemblance to the Plain Doll, a character from the 2015 video game Bloodborne. This is most apparent in the style of their clothing.
- It is shown in the omake of volume 4 of the manga that Silver's hair is short underneath her bonnet. This is later confirmed in volume 5 when she is transformed into a Silky by Spriggan.
- She will never accept payment, will sometimes play pranks, and tries to stay out of sight. The cup of cream you might see resting on top of the fireplace is hers.(A cup of cream or milk on the fireplace is the best way to show Brownies your gratitude)
- Despite one of her 4 clauses stating that she tries to stay out of sight, she is seen quite often around the house throughout the series.
- According to Silver, Chise doesn't take care of Ruth enough.
- She is from Scotland.
- In Official Guidebook: Merkmal, her height is 157cm (5'2").